November 2018 Bond Election
Abilene ISD will have a bond referendum on the November 2018 ballot. The $138,679,000 bond packaged is designed to address facilities and growing student programs. The bond package includes funds for the following potential projects:
- Replace three elementary schools built in the 1950’s: Austin, Dyess and Taylor
- Construct a career and technology center
- Update fine arts facilities at the District’s high schools and two middle schools
- Update athletics facilities at Shotwell Stadium, the District’s high schools and four middle schools
- Replace HVAC systems at multiple campuses.
The Master Facility Planning Committee (MFPC) that developed this proposal was made up of local citizens, parents and civic and business leaders. Members met eight times over the course of four months to consider the educational needs of all Abilene ISD students and then made a recommendation to the Board of Trustees in July. On August 14, the Board of Trustees voted to call an election to address the needs identified by the MFPC.
Abilene ISD residents will have the opportunity to vote on the bond referendum on Election Day: Tuesday, November 6, 2018. Early Voting begins October 22 and runs through November 2.