Parents of Early Childhood students can register for the 2019-2020 school year May 2-3 at the Abilene Convention Center.
Eligible families may register for the upcoming school year from 8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. Programs that make up Early Childhood are Early Head Start (birth to 3), Head Start (3-year-olds on/before Sept. 1, 2019); Head Start (4-year-olds on/before Sept. 1, 2019) and Pre-Kindergarten (4-year-olds on/before September 1, 2019).
Eligibility for the Early Childhood Program is determined by the following:
- Family meets federal income guidelines, or one from the list below
- Child has a diagnosed disability for Head Start
- Child is a military dependent (4-year-old Pre-K only)
- Child qualifies as a homeless student
- Child is in or has been in Child Protective Services conservatorship
- Child is a limited English speaker for Pre-K (4-year-old Pre-K only).
Only legal guardians can register a child. If the person registering is not listed on the child’s birth certificate, he or she must have paperwork stating legal guardianship. Parents must bring the following items to register, but their children are not required to accompany them at the time of registration:
- Driver’s license, military ID or photo ID of the parent registering.
- Proof of income for all in the household, including child support, SSI benefits and grant award letters.
- Proof of residency (utility bill, rent receipt, lease or mortgage)
- Child’s current shot record, social security card and birth certificate.
Families qualifying for Head Start will be notified at the beginning of June whether or not their child has been placed in a classroom or on a waiting list. The waiting list will be re-evaluated at the end of summer, and any open slots will be filled from the waiting list. Families qualifying for Pre-K will receive a letter confirming their acceptance into the program or if they have been placed on a waiting list.
For more information, call Tammy Jones at 671-4594, ext. 5725.